Getting a potential, terminal diagnosis hits like a rock; and without planning ahead, you will be projected down a path that can be full of wishful thinking or just downright frightening.
Anything that anyone says right now may not land, because frankly you are in a state of shock. Yes it’s scary, overwhelming and you may feel numb. This is understandable and normal.
Dying Patient Care – How we can help
Dying Your Way provides a checklist for anyone facing the end of their life. It is practical while offering emotional and spiritual support. It provides a ten module training, psycho-social support through online counselling and multiple resources for you and your family.
It is recommended that dying patients or their family or caretakers have a free 30 minute consultation first.
Here are topics covered in the Dying Your Way End of Life Training
- You will contemplate and determine your most pressing concerns, while weighing the pros and cons of decisions that need to be made
- You will understand the importance of having a team around you who are family, friends, an end of life doula, clergy and professionals who will provide palliative, psych-social and spiritual support.
- You will attend to paperwork that is necessary, if you have not already done so, and be sure it is easily accessible to all who need it
- You will know your disease and likely prognosis through quality research and empowered conversations with your doctor/s.
- You will understand the importance and difference between curative treatments, palliative care, and hospice care.
- You will become aware of predictable, ongoing physical and mental changes that may occur, and the different levels of care required.
- You will learn ways to avoid unnecessary, painful treatments and emergency room visits. This potentially could save you thousands of dollars.
- You will understand what needs to be in place to have a natural death at home.
- You will learn what happens during the actual stages of dying.
- You will consider funeral options and plan for the kind of memorial you would like.
- You will leave aftercare instructions and bereavement sources for your loved ones.
End of Life Plan – A pathway to your peace of mind
After completing the modules in the Dying Your Way End of Life Training, you will create a personal Dying Your Way End of Life Plan.
This document will be kept with your important end of life papers and shared with your loved ones and medical providers.
Through working with the Dying Your Way End of Life Training you will consider all these important issues which are the essential services I provide as an end of life doula.
This is the checklist I use when working one on one with each client.
Now the Dying Your Way End of Life Training is available online 24/7 anywhere there is internet.
Many prefer to learn in the privacy of their own home using a self-paced approach.
Others prefer individual counselling with a certified end of life doula, using the Dying Your Way End of Life Training as a written and visual curriculum.
Either way, the goal is to create an informed care plan to support the dying patient and give clear end of life instructions to the family and palliative care team.
May this be a sacred end of life journey for you and those who love you.
Co-Founder Dying Your Way and
certified End of Life Doula