Getting a potential, terminal diagnosis hits like a rock; and without planning ahead, you will be projected down a path that can be full of wishful thinking or just downright frightening. Anything that anyone says right now may not land, because frankly you are in a state of shock. Yes it’s scary, overwhelming, and a blessing. This is understandable and normal.
Dying Your Way offers practical actions to help reduce any pain, stress or fear you may be experiencing, while assisting you to prepare your own plan for a natural and easeful death. Once you are clear about your wishes, you will likely want your voice, desires, and wishes to be known.
It is recommended that each person requesting a consultation review the DYW Portal Program first to better understand how we can help and how the Dying Your Way approach might help your situation.
Here are topics covered in the DYW Portal Program.
- You will contemplate and determine your most pressing concerns, while weighing the pros and cons of decisions that need to be made.
- You will understand the importance of having a support team, consider who to request to be on your team, and ask them.
- You will attend to paperwork that is necessary, if you have not already done so, and be sure it is easily accessible to all who need it.
- You will know your disease and likely prognosis through research and inquiry.
- You will understand the importance and difference between curative treatments, palliative care, and hospice care.
- You will become aware of predictable, ongoing physical and mental changes that may occur, and the different levels of care required.
- You will learn ways to avoid unnecessary, painful treatments and emergency room visits. This potentially could save you thousands of dollars.
- You will understand what needs to be in place to have a natural death at home.
- You will learn what happens during the actual stages of dying.
- You will consider funeral options and plan for the kind of memorial you would like.
- You will leave aftercare instructions and bereavement sources for your loved ones.
After completing the modules in the portal program, you will create a personal DYW End of Life Plan. The plan can be in a written and / or digital form easily communicated and accessed by your loved ones and medical providers.
Through working with the DYW Portal Program you will consider all these important issues, which are the essential services I provide as an End of Life Doula. This is what we would cover if we were together one on one. Of course each situation is unique, and all possible variables cannot be covered in this DIY (Do It Yourself) approach. I trust these options and research tools make a real difference, and encourage you to use what works for your personal circumstances.
Our goal will be to develop a clear plan and communicate to others the kind of passing you desire.
May this be a sacred journey for you and those who love you.